Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 22 Letter

I'm sending you the schedule of what we did our first day, but I'll explain what I can remember. It feels like I've lived here nine weeks already. You dropped me off and an Elder walked me to my dorm, where a Sister took me to get my key and room number. Then we dropped my bags off in my room and went to a big meeting room where I got my Blue Card, which is your life here. It has your weekly allowance, your meals and security access to the dorms and computers. Plus, it works the laundry. After we got the Blue Card we had to verify who we were and where we are going.

Then we had our picture taken for our Branch President. Next we got an envelope with the missionary handbook in it and two name tags, one with an orange dot that meant we are newbees and then a woman clipped it on us. Then we fixed personal information, which they had our old home number and I didn't remember the new one, so I put your cell phone down because I know that. I got a padlock for my personal stuff.

Then the Host Sister met me as I exited the big room and then we went to the bookstore to get all of our materials for our mission. I'm missing one book that I'll pick up on p-day, but in my bag was: two planners (because each one only has six weeks in it and we are here for nine sadly, even if you know ASL), the Gospel Art Book, a black missionary binder, two Preach My Gospels (which is good because someone took one of mine), an ASL Book of Mormon (on dvd), the Missionary Health Guide, Missionary Language Book, a vocabulary book (that we won't use because it's really for people learning English), and an ASL dictionary.

After that I was take to my class where I met my companions, our teachers and the rest of my district. We have three hard of hearing missionaries and one deaf missionary. After class we went and met the Mission President in an orientation with all of the new missionaries. Then we had dinner – roast beef and potatoes. We only had one choice. Ali would have been in heaven. We also had ice cream, but I didn't have any for one, because it's fattening and two, because I was full. I had a side salad, but sadly on a side salad, because the bowls are small and unless you get the salad entrĂ©e (which they don't offer every day) you can only have Ranch dressing, so I guess I'm learning to like it.

After dinner we had an activity where we went to different rooms and watched missionaries start a visit. Then we took over. It was funny to hear some of the Elders. Clearly, some of the Elders need to learn to listen to the people. When we finished that we met our Zone Leader and Coordinating Sister. They gave us more information. Then we split and the sister took us back to our room and went over room cleanliness and then we unpacked at around 10 pm. Then it was time for bed. It was a very long day.

We have had a few more orientation activities, but not many. Usually one a day, if that. It's so hard to remember everything because it's so busy and the days seem to blend together. For the most part my day is: wake up and get ready, study for 30 minutes, breakfast, class or study, lunch at 12ish, gym for one hour, class or study, dinner at 5ish, class/study/devotional, plan from 9-9:30 pm, shower for me (my other companions shower in the morning), companion prayer, quiet time at 10:15 pm and lights out at 10:30 pm.

I can't print emails I found out. So if you have a long email you may have to wait 'til I can write you back. Our Branch President said to use dearelder.com. We get that very fast here.

Love,
Victoria (Sister Bennion)

No comments: